Potential Bullish on USD/CAD


Potential Bullish on USD/CAD

Daily Outlook- 2 July 2024: Potential Bullish on USD/CAD


Markets expect two Fed rate cuts, but the resilient US economy and sticky inflation may support a less dovish stance, boosting the USD. Dovish G10 central banks and potential US recession and tariff tensions ahead of the 2024 election may also support the USD. In contrast, although Canada’s CPI saw a significant surge in May, one month of data is unlikely to reverse the disinflation trend observed since January. As a result, the policy divergence between the Fed and BoC remains relevant and in play.


Macro View:

USD: Markets expect the Fed to cut rates twice this year, but the risks remain for a less dovish outlook given the still fairly resilient US economy and sticky US inflation. This translates into a relatively less dovish Fed outlook that burnishes the rate appeal of the USD and could keep the currency supported going forward. Most of the G10 European central banks stand to ‘out-dove’ the Fed this year and this should remain a major drag for their respective currencies for the remainder of the year. The second driver of the USD this year would be risk aversion on the back of a weakening US outlook and even a potential recession in late 2024 as well as escalating tariff angst in the runup to the 2024 US presidential election in November.

CAD: The upside surprise in the latest Canadian CPI failed to give the CAD a long-lasting boost. The May pick-up in Canadian inflation to 2.9% YoY ultimately largely matched the BoC’s central scenario as outlined in April, and as such domestic money markets have primarily trimmed the chances of back-to-back rate cuts from 60% to 40%, without altering much the prospects of two cuts in H224. The relative policy paths followed by the BoC and the Fed in the coming months could remain the main driver of USD/CAD, while at the same time record CAD short positions may keep a lid on the spot rate, keeping 1.38/1.40 as a strong resistance area.

FX View:

DXM: A Tool to Gauge Retail Sentiments

USD/CAD Current Retail Long/Short Position

The DXM shows that 20% of traders are bullish, while the remaining 80% are bearish, reflecting the predominant retail sentiment. This sentiment offers a contrasting trading opportunity since retail traders tend to consistently lose money in the long term.

Seasonality Analysis: The Historical Movement of the Currencies  

USD Futures’ seasonality movement

The seasonal pattern for the USD suggests bullish momentum in the near term. but with the recent economic development in US is not favor with this bearish move.

CAD Futures’ seasonality movement

The seasonal pattern for the CAD suggests bullish momentum in the near term but with the recent economic development in Canada is not favor with this strong move.


Sources: Prime Market Terminal


Disclaimer: This material is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute financial, investment or other advice. No opinion contained in this material constitutes a recommendation by Trive International or its author as to any particular investment, transaction or investment strategy and should not be relied upon in making any investment decision. In particular, the information does not consider the individual investment objectives or financial circumstances of the individual investor Trive International shall not be liable for any loss, damage or injury arising from the use of this information. Trive International may or may not be able to provide equity in the companies. The value of your investment may go down as well as up.


No comments

댓글 남기기
Your Email Address Will Not Be Published.



TriveHub, 금융 역량 강화의 시작 

저희의 포괄적인 금융 교육 플랫폼인 TriveHub를 탐험해 보세요. 시장 인사이트, 전문가 가이드, 프리미엄 콘텐츠가 함께 모여 여러분의 투자 여정을 형성합니다. 주식, 통화, 가상화폐 등 어떤 것이 관심을 끌든지, 우리는 여러분이 정보에 기반한 결정을 내릴 수 있도록 필요한 지식을 제공합니다.
모든 금융 상품은 마진 거래 시 자본에 높은 위험을 수반합니다.모든 투자자에게 적합하지 않으며 초기 예치금보다 더 많은 손실을 입을 수 있습니다. 관련된 위험을 완전히 이해하고 필요한 경우 독립적인 조언을 구하시기 바랍니다. 자세한 내용은 전체 위험 공시, 영업 약관, 개인정보 보호정책을 참조하십시오. 
로그인 기능 지원 및 신뢰할 수 있는 미디어 파트너가 사이트 사용량을 분석할 수 있도록 쿠키를 사용합니다. 쿠키를 활성화한 상태로 사이트를 탐색하면 전체 사이트 경험을 즐길 수 있습니다. 쿠키 사용에 동의하게 되며, 자세한 내용은 쿠키 정보를 참조하십시오.
이 웹사이트(trivehub.com)는 Trive International의 소유이며, Trive International Ltd.의 등록 상표입니다. Trive International Ltd.는 영국령 버진 아일랜드 금융 당국인 금융 서비스 위원회(FSC BVI)의 인가 및 규제를 받으며, 회사 번호 1728826 및 라이선스 번호 BVI SIBA/L/14/1066으로 등록되어 있습니다.

© 2024 Trivehub

Trivehub is operated by Trive International. The information on this site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.