Potential Bullish on AUD/CAD


Potential Bullish on AUD/CAD


As Australia's monthly CPI surged to 4% from 3.6%, markets are now anticipating that the RBA will hike rates again in September. Consequently, the Q2 Australia CPI report, released on July 31, will be a critical factor influencing the RBA’s decisions at their August 6 meeting. In contrast, although Canada’s CPI saw a significant surge in May, one month of data is unlikely to reverse the disinflation trend observed since January. As a result, the policy divergence between the RBA and BoC remains relevant and in play.


Macro View:

AUD: Australia's monthly CPI data reinforces expectations of another rate hike by the RBA in their August or September meetings. The year-over-year CPI in May accelerated from 3.6% to 4.0%, while the trimmed mean measure increased from 4.1% to 4.4%, both surpassing expectations. OIS pricing now indicates a greater than 50% probability of a 25bp hike by September. At the last policy meeting on June 18th, Governor Bullock suggested a bias towards a rate hike, noting that the possibility of a hike was discussed, while a rate cut was not.  The next RBA meeting is scheduled for August 6th, with the Q2 CPI data release on July 31st being a critical factor. If upcoming activity data and the Q2 CPI data are weak, the RBA might hold off on hiking rates.

However, from an FX perspective, this situation supports higher yields and suggests a longer period before the RBA considers a rate cut, reinforcing a gradual move higher for AUD/USD. For the AUD, strong CPI data will benefit it against the NZD and CAD, but the currency may continue to struggle against the USD due to weak iron ore prices, a declining CNY, and investor caution ahead of the US core PCE data release later this week.

CAD: Despite the surge in May inflation to 2.9%, up from 2.7% previously, one month of data is unlikely to reverse the disinflation trend observed in Canada since January. Additionally, the market might be factoring in potential economic troubles in Canada, viewing inflation as an outdated issue due to looming recession concerns. A Canadian recession could lead to an overweight in Canadian bonds, especially compared to countries where central banks might not cut rates as much as the BoC. Overall, with the markets anticipating that the RBA will maintain higher rates for longer and potentially hike rates in September, while the BoC might implement more rate cuts, the policy divergence between the RBA and BoC remains relevant and in play.

FX View:

DXM: A Tool to Gauge Retail Sentiments

AUD/CAD Current Retail Long/Short Position

The DXM shows that 15% of traders are bullish, while the remaining 85% are bearish, reflecting the predominant retail sentiment. This sentiment offers a contrasting trading opportunity since retail traders tend to consistently lose money in the long term.

Seasonality Analysis: The Historical Movement of the Currencies  

AUD Futures’ seasonality movement

The seasonal pattern for the AUD suggests bearish momentum in the near term.

CAD Futures’ seasonality movement

The seasonal pattern for the CAD suggests bullish momentum in the near term.

Sources: Prime Market Terminal


Disclaimer: This material is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute financial, investment or other advice. No opinion contained in this material constitutes a recommendation by Trive International or its author as to any particular investment, transaction or investment strategy and should not be relied upon in making any investment decision. In particular, the information does not consider the individual investment objectives or financial circumstances of the individual investor Trive International shall not be liable for any loss, damage or injury arising from the use of this information. Trive International may or may not be able to provide equity in the companies. The value of your investment may go down as well as up.


No comments

댓글 남기기
Your Email Address Will Not Be Published.



TriveHub, 금융 역량 강화의 시작 

저희의 포괄적인 금융 교육 플랫폼인 TriveHub를 탐험해 보세요. 시장 인사이트, 전문가 가이드, 프리미엄 콘텐츠가 함께 모여 여러분의 투자 여정을 형성합니다. 주식, 통화, 가상화폐 등 어떤 것이 관심을 끌든지, 우리는 여러분이 정보에 기반한 결정을 내릴 수 있도록 필요한 지식을 제공합니다.
모든 금융 상품은 마진 거래 시 자본에 높은 위험을 수반합니다.모든 투자자에게 적합하지 않으며 초기 예치금보다 더 많은 손실을 입을 수 있습니다. 관련된 위험을 완전히 이해하고 필요한 경우 독립적인 조언을 구하시기 바랍니다. 자세한 내용은 전체 위험 공시, 영업 약관, 개인정보 보호정책을 참조하십시오. 
로그인 기능 지원 및 신뢰할 수 있는 미디어 파트너가 사이트 사용량을 분석할 수 있도록 쿠키를 사용합니다. 쿠키를 활성화한 상태로 사이트를 탐색하면 전체 사이트 경험을 즐길 수 있습니다. 쿠키 사용에 동의하게 되며, 자세한 내용은 쿠키 정보를 참조하십시오.
이 웹사이트(trivehub.com)는 Trive International의 소유이며, Trive International Ltd.의 등록 상표입니다. Trive International Ltd.는 영국령 버진 아일랜드 금융 당국인 금융 서비스 위원회(FSC BVI)의 인가 및 규제를 받으며, 회사 번호 1728826 및 라이선스 번호 BVI SIBA/L/14/1066으로 등록되어 있습니다.

© 2024 Trivehub

Trivehub is operated by Trive International. The information on this site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.