Potential Bullish on NZD/CAD


Potential Bullish on NZD/CAD


As the RBNZ feel uncertainty on the future outlook of inflation, they decided to on hold the rate higher for longer and signaled further rate hike if inflation out of control. In contrast, the continued slowdown in Canadian inflation provides more confidence for a rate cut by the BoC in June, highlighting a clear policy divergence between the RBNZ and the BoC. 


Macro View:

NZD: The RBNZ kept the OCR unchanged at 5.5% at this week’s meeting but delivered a more hawkish-than-expected message, hinting not just at delaying rate cuts but even considering raising rates again. In the context of persistent inflation, the possibility of a rate hike was discussed as a “real consideration.” The new RBNZ forecast sees the OCR peaking at 5.65%, with more than a 50% chance of a rate increase. This guidance also implies that the first rate cut is likely to be delayed, providing a boost for the NZD.

CAD: The Canadian rate market now anticipates a higher probability of an earlier rate cut from the BoC following the release of April's inflation data. The report revealed that core inflation surprised to the downside for the fourth consecutive month this year. The average of the core CPI measures (trim & median) slowed further to an annual rate of 2.8% in April from 3.1% in March. With inflation moving closer to the BoC’s target and Canada's economy growing below potential, there is now room for the BoC to make their policy rate less restrictive. As a result, markets expect the first BoC rate cut at the June policy meeting


FX View:

DXM: A Tool to Gauge Retail Sentiments


NZD/CAD Current Retail Long/Short Position

The DXM shows that 1.7% of traders are bullish, while the remaining 98.3% are bearish, reflecting the predominant retail sentiment. This sentiment offers a contrasting trading opportunity since retail traders tend to consistently lose money in the long term.

Seasonality Analysis: The Historical Movement of the Currencies  

NZD Futures’ seasonality movement

The seasonal pattern for the NZD suggests bullish momentum in the near term

CAD Futures’ seasonality movement

The seasonal pattern for the CAD suggests bearish momentum in the near term.


Sources: Prime Market Terminal


Disclaimer: This material is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute financial, investment or other advice. No opinion contained in this material constitutes a recommendation by Trive International or its author as to any particular investment, transaction or investment strategy and should not be relied upon in making any investment decision. In particular, the information does not consider the individual investment objectives or financial circumstances of the individual investor Trive International shall not be liable for any loss, damage or injury arising from the use of this information. Trive International may or may not be able to provide equity in the companies. The value of your investment may go down as well as up.


No comments

Leave a comment
Your Email Address Will Not Be Published.



TriveHub, where financial empowerment begins. 

Explore our comprehensive financial education platform, where market insights, expert guidance, and premium content come together to shape your investment journey. Whether it's stocks, currencies, or cryptocurrencies that pique your interest, we provide the knowledge you need to make informed decisions.
All financial products traded on margin carry a high degree of risk to your capital. They are not suited to all investors, and you can lose more than your initial deposit. Please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved and seek independent advice if necessary. For further information, please see our full Risk Disclosure, Terms of Business, and Privacy Policy. 
We use cookies to support features like login and allow trusted media partners to analyze aggregated site usage. Keep cookies enabled to enjoy the full site experience. By browsing our site with cookies enabled, you are agreeing to their use. Review our cookie information for more details.
This website (trivehub.com) belongs to Trive International, and it is the registered trademark of Trive International Ltd. Trive International Ltd. is authorized and regulated by the British Virgin Islands’ financial authority, named Financial Services Commission (“FSC BVI"), under the company number 1728826 and license number BVI SIBA/L/14/1066.

© 2024 Trivehub

Trivehub is operated by Trive International. The information on this site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.